A brick home can have an alluring and beautiful appeal. However, when brick or stone exteriors need to be repaired, you need to know you have chosen someone that is experienced in doing so. Choosing the masonry contractor in Chicago you can count on for providing you with quality results is important.
Six Must-Dos in Choosing Masonry Contractors in Chicago:
1. Learning more about contractors before you hire them is the only way to get the work done by someone with experience. Talk to your friends or family about the masons they know about. The personal experiences of others’ are very influential when it comes time to decide on a service provider.
2. Be sure to inquire about a contractor’s training and educational background. Find out if that individual spent time as an apprentice and find out whom the apprenticeship was under. Hiring only the professional that has the experience necessary for providing quality craftsmanship is essential to get the best results. If you run across contractors that are not licensed, but claim to provide good work, you should seriously consider looking for only licensed masonry contractors in Chicago (and otherwise).
3. The contractor you hire should always carry liability insurance. You should also make sure the contractor you hire is bonded as well. Hiring someone without insurance means if an injury occurs, that persons medical expenses could be your responsibility. If your property is damaged by a contractor, that contractors insurance will pay for it. If there is no coverage, you will have to go through a legal process to have the contractor make monetary amends.
4. Asking about the number of years a contractor has been in the masonry business is important. The longer a professional has been laying brick and stone, the greater chances you have of quality craftsmanship. The longer a business has been around, the more likely it is because of providing quality results.
5. Checking out a contractor or company with the Better Business Bureau is easier today than ever before thanks to the internet. Visiting the BBB website helps you find out if any negative comments have been made about the contractor you are considering for hire. Visiting company websites is also a good way to learn what other customers have said as well. Reading the testimonials many companies and professional contractors post on their sites is a good idea.
6. Ask to see a portfolio of the contractor’s past projects. Doing so allows you to actually see the kind of results you can expect for your home. If contractors do not have a portfolio, there could reasons why. Never trust the word of someone without seeing proof if you are going to pay that person to provide work at your home. Finding out about written guarantees is also important.
For some homeowners, the need for brick repair is necessary. Trusting your older home or historical home to just anyone is not a good idea. Making sure you choose only the right masonry contractor in Chicago, so that you know for sure you can count on them and trust them, for your peace of mind. The time you spend checking into the background of a contractor is worthwhile.