Chicago Chimney Repair and Rebuilding of Masonry Chimney Structures Made of CMU’s or Brick
How much does brick chimney repair cost in Chicago?
- The average brick chimney repair cost in Chicago can range from $175.00 for minor mortar and crown cracks repair to around $10,000 for an entire residential chimney rebuilding. Chimney crown replacement could cost $1,000 – $3,500 including brick replacement to just below the roof line.
Why such a wide price range for chimney repair? There is a number of variables affecting those prices, and some of them can drive the final bill even higher. Here is a list of what affects masonry chimney repair cost:
- Level of deterioration of chimney components
- Chimney location, size, and height
- Type of bricks / reusable or not
- Type of chimney crown
- Type of chimney rain cap
- Chimney flue liner and insulation
- Requires new foundation or not
Watch this video below, if any of the images are even slightly resembling your chimney condition, you definitely need a Chicago chimney repair service!
You can watch more of our videos by following this link: chimney repair Chicago
Do you happen to have a masonry brick chimney in your house?
Have you recently or ever had your chimney professionally inspected?
There are nearly 36,000 reasons every year for me to ask that question. This is how many fires caused by portable heaters, fireplaces, and chimneys start each year in US. Actually, faulty fireplaces and chimneys are the number one cause of home heating equipment related fires.
Although poorly maintained brick chimney structures don’t always necessarily cause a fire, the brick and mortar deterioration you may be able to see on an exterior part of your chimney, is usually a clue for more damage on its interior.
Not sure if your Chicago masonry chimney requires servicing?
All Estimates are Always FREE
Since we’ve been offering Chicago chimney repair services for over 3 decades, we’ve noticed little progress in the property owners behavior towards their maintenance. They believe… most of us actually do, that masonry brick chimney is indestructible and requires no maintenance whatsoever. Unfortunately, such approach / neglecting one of the most important components of the house, leads to deterioration and potential safety issues.
Why Chicago brick chimney deteriorates and how often needs repair?
Usually the highest exposed part of your home, Chicago brick chimney takes all the beating from rain, wind, snow, and the Illinois weather’s freeze & thaw cycle. All those elements slowly destroy the mortar mix’s bonding force and chimney bricks’ exterior surface.
In most cases some level of Chicago chimney repair is required approximately every 20-30 years.
You can watch more of Chicago chimney repair videos by following this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPyORrypDi0
What is the main chimney component responsible for its deterioration?
The 20-30 year cycle is true under the assumption that there’s a properly installed chimney crown sitting on top of the structure and protecting its interior… sometimes there might be no crown at all. This missing component dramatically accelerates brick chimney’s deterioration since the elements work from the interior and exterior at the same time.
In frequently used masonry chimneys, heat helped accelerate moisture evaporation from exposed to elements interior. Not the case anymore, our fireplaces are used sporadically since they are rarely a heating system component. Thanks to the newly developed technologies, we are replacing house furnaces and water heaters with high efficiency models that don’t require masonry chimney’s for venting. This makes them obsolete, left to deteriorate without us even realizing how dangerous they become.
Some things that could happen as the brick chimney deterioration progresses:
- Mortar, bricks, and liner crumble and fall inside the chimney flue which could prevent the exhaust gasses from being discharged properly. This could result in Carbon Monoxide spillage into the house, and potentially kill you. The only way to prevent it from happening is to hire chimney repair contractors and have them professionally inspect chimney structure every 2-3 years / perform repairs immediately if such are required.
Search in Google for “chimney repair companies near me”, “chimney repair near me”, or “brick chimney repair near me”, always check the company reviews and background / experience. Ask 3-4 contractors to check your masonry chimney condition, compare opinions and quotes, these are usually free.
- A partially blocked wood fireplace chimney flue will cause more creosote deposits to form faster on its interior walls which could result in a chimney fire. A chimney’s deterioration can sometimes progress to the point where parts of the brick walls simply fall apart. If this happens beneath the roof surface, like in your attic area (see picture below), the consequences of a chimney fire can be devastating and your entire house may burst into flames. That should be enough reason to do evaluation and get your Chicago chimney repair performed by a professional masonry contractor if necessary.
- Deteriorating tall masonry chimneys are extremely dangerous because they can easily collapse, destroy a house’s roof, its components, and even injure or kill a pedestrian. Deteriorating brick chimney mortar lines, holes and gaps between bricks, cracks, and developed leaning are critical signs that an immediate chimney repair is inevitable.
Think of your house’s brick chimney and care for it as you would for your windpipe. If you happen to start choking on a piece of food, it is essential to get that food particle out to prevent possible death. A virus can cause serious damage and inflammation of your throat, which will make breathing difficult. Taking care with medication might make the difference between going to the hospital and getting better.